Ever wonder why you’re not losing weight? Are you constantly “dieting” and still not losing weight? The truth is that even when you’re on this so called “diet”, you might be doing more harm than good. Well, I’ve got to be honest and say, stop dieting and start living! A healthy lifestyle is just that – a lifestyle, not a damn “diet”. Here are a few common mistakes I see.
No carbs. No dairy. No wheat. No sugar. No food. What’s left? You may assume that giving up all your favorite foods is the magical answer to obtaining your dream body. But what happens if you deprive yourself too much? Sadly, it leads us directly to overeating. Furthermore, skipping meals to reduce your calorie intake is a great way to give your body permission to store fat. It’s a method guaranteed to backfire as our bodies dive into “starvation mode”. Research shows that those who eat breakfast weigh less than those that skip. So for all you breakfast skippers, fuel up.
Are you sure your portions are on point? You’ve heard it a million times, “Portion control is the key to weight loss.” It makes complete sense, smaller portions equals fewer calories. Goodness, everything these days is super-sized! And I’m not referring to just fast food. Meats, muffins, bagels, drinks, etc. According to a recent article, food portions are 2-5 times bigger than they were in the 20th century. And so are people! Surprise, surprise. Click on this link for suggested healthy Portion Sizes:
-3 oz of chicken – the size of a deck of cards
-1/2 cup of cooked rice – the size of a light bulb
-1 cup of cooked pasta – the size of a baseball
Spending Hours At The Gym
Got Cardio Syndrome? You know who you are. You get to the gym, beeline it directly to the treadmill or elliptical and stay there for 98% of your workout. The remaining 2% of the time you spend stretching or doing “abs”. Trust me when I say, there is no need to spend 2 hours at the gym each day. More is not always better. You can get an effective, highly productive workout done in 20-30 minutes. Don’t confuse quantity with quality. If you work hard and stay focused, you don’t have to be a slave to the gym. That’s why I love HIIT so much (High Intensity Interval Training)! It’s an awesome way to keep your body in shape while keeping your workout super fun!
Excuses “I Exercised Today So….”
How many times have you said, “I worked out today, so it’s okay.” Or, “It’ll be fine, I’ll just eat this (extra large cheese pizza) tonight but that means I’ve got to work extra hard tomorrow. Put the pizza down and listen to me. If the above sounds like you, STOP! You’re on a vicious cycle, like a hamster on a wheel. You’ve made tons of progress from your workout earlier and now you’re going to consume more calories than you burned?!
Relying On Exercising Alone
Yes, exercise burns calories. For example, one hour of intense exercise equals an approximate 400 calories burned. However, the harsh reality is that hundreds of calories can be consumed in a matter of minutes which would take hours to burn. I can’t stress the following formula enough: 80% nutrition, 20% fitness, 100% dedication. Eat clean, whole foods and I promise you’ll have your dream body!
Obsessively Weighing vs. Measuring
I’ve talked about this in a previous post, but a lot of people complain that they’re not seeing the scale drop. They’re losing inches and clothing sizes and don’t even know it. Despite these obvious signs that they’re getting leaner, they still want to see the scale change. Ugh! The scale doesn’t always tell you the whole story. Pay attention to how your clothes are fitting and recognize that you’re shrinking. Who cares if the scale isn’t telling you that you’re 1 pound (lol).
Too Many Liquid Calories
Adult beverages, smoothies, loaded coffee, sugary drinks, energy drinks, juices…oh my! These all contribute to our daily intake. Recently, I read an article that stated: Americans get approximately 21% of their calories from beverages.
-12 oz light beer: 110 calories
-12 oz regular beer: 160 calories
-8 oz coffee with cream and sugar: 30 calories
-5 oz of wine: 120-130 calories
-16 oz sweetened tea: 160 calories
-12 oz soda: 150 calories
-20 oz smoothie: 410 calories
As the saying goes, “You are what you eat”. Be mindful of what you put in your body and fuel your body according to your fitness goals. Plan your trips to the grocery store so that you’re buying healthier, new, fun options. “Failing to plan is planning to fail”. Dedicate a day to meal prep for the entire week. And last but not least, stay motivated!